Over the last six weeks, we have all had to adjust our routines. One of the biggest adjustments has been how we shop as nearly all retail stores were shuttered in the middle of March. This has led to a surge in online activity as consumers look to restock essentials but also crave entertainment and exercise. Where are consumers spending their time and money and what categories are seeing an increase in activity?
The PebblePost Graph is our proprietary data asset that fuels the PDM® Platform, connecting billions of real-time online intent signals with millions of household addresses. Using this data, we are able to analyze how consumer behavior has changed over the last few months. Here is a highlight of the online intent data PebblePost captured during the first month of the shutdown (mid-March to mid-April) and how it compared to January–February.
Food and Delivery Services See the Biggest Spike
- Food Delivery & Food Subscription Services saw 77% increase in traffic whereas Beer/Alcohol/Wine delivery services saw a whopping 131% increase
- The CPG category in general saw a 49% increase. Interestingly, when we broke down this category further, we saw that healthy shelf stable snacks within CPG are doing the best. This includes products such as granola bars, power bars, and beef jerky
Athleisure Has its Moment as Folks Want to be Dressed Comfortably While WFH
- The Apparel, Shoes & Accessories category saw a 60% Increase in traffic; specifically, the Athleisure and “Comfy Basics” brands saw the biggest increase
- An important call out: Brands that are doing the best in this category are also the ones that are prioritizing giving back during this time. There was increased interest in brands that are donating proceeds, making masks and offering discounts for first responders
A Silver Lining: There is an Increase in the Number of People Looking to Give Back
- Over the last month, we captured a 50% increase in traffic to websites in the The Charitable/ Not for Profits category.
- This is a heart-warming figure as Americans are looking to help support others during this time of need however they can.
Consumers Look to Redecorate their Homes While Spending More Time There
- The Home Goods & Furniture category saw a 30% Increase in traffic recently
- The highest drivers of interest in this category include decorative elements - blankets, pillows, and big ticket furniture items like couches
Physical Fitness Remains Top of Mind
- Traffic for the the Physical & Sporting goods category, as a whole, was up 28%
- Consumers are specifically seeking out home workout equipment which is driving the majority of the growth with a 75% increase in traffic